Brexit driving rules: New laws for motorists visiting Europe – ‘Be prepared!’

Brexit: David McCredie discusses UK trade deal with Australia

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Insurance company Admiral has urged people to check they have the right documentation before travel or risk being denied entry. Drivers need to have a green card for insurance, their driving licence, their vehicle log book and a GB sticker to travel to EU countries.

If the right documentation is not shown, Admiral has warned that people could risk being fined or having their vehicle seized.

A green card from your insurance company will cover any potential accidents while travelling in the EU.

Admiral has recommended allowing at least seven days for your green card to arrive from the insurance company.

The green card is also required to drive in the Republic of Ireland since Brexit.

Most green cards are free but some insurance companies may charge an administration fee.

According to The Leicester Mercury, Admiral’s Head of Motor Product Clare Egan, said: “We expect many more motorists will be thinking of taking their car rather than flying, once holidays to Europe are possible again.

“New rules and regulations mean there’s a lot more to think about before heading abroad, and that includes getting a green card if you’re taking your car with you.

“Thankfully applying for one is straightforward, but there are other things to remember.

“Make sure you’re prepared and have all the right protection and documentation before you travel as the rules have changed since Brexit.”

She added: “You will need your driving licence and your car’s vehicle registration document in case of an incident. It’s also a good idea to take a copy of your car insurance certificate or have an electronic copy available.

Brexit LIVE: We told you! EU set for furious fishing protest [LIVE]

Liz Truss urged to get tough in trade talks with Australia [UPDATE]
‘Walk away!’ Britons furious as party could destory £20bn deal [INSIGHT]

“You will also have to double check if you need to get a GB sticker and international driving permit before you travel, so leave plenty of time to get these additional bits organised.

“The last thing anyone wants to think about is having an accident abroad while driving, but unfortunately it can happen, so it’s important to be clear on the rules of the road before travelling and have all the right documents with you while out on the road.”

Since May 17, the legal ban on international travel in the UK ended and a new traffic light system has been put in place.

Travellers can now visit 12 countries on the Government’s green list, including Portugal and Israel, without isolating on return.

But as more EU countries are added to the green travel list, experts are expecting to see a return to holidaymakers travelling by car.

Ms Egan warned: “The rules may well have changed since the last time you travelled so it’s worth taking the time to check before you set off.”

Source: Read Full Article