Journalist dies while covering Qatar World Cup as brother says ‘he was killed’

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    American football journalist Grant Wahl has died at 48 in Qatar while covering the World Cup, says his brother.

    Grant had covered Argentina’s quarterfinal win over the Netherlands on Friday and collapsed at Lusail Iconic Stadium.

    The sports journalist was rushed to a nearby hospital but passed away.

    It’s currently unclear whether he died at the hospital or in transport.

    Grant’s brother Eric made the announcement in an Instagram video where he claimed his brother was “healthy” before he collapsed during a game Friday.

    Eric also believes Grant was killed after he was recently detained for 35 minutes for wearing a rainbow flag shirt during the United States opening games against Wales.

    Eric said on Instagram: “My name is Eric Wahl. I live in Seattle, Washington. I am Grant Wahl’s brother. I’m gay.

    “I’m the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the World Cup. My brother was healthy. He told me he received death threats. I do not believe my brother just died. I believe he was killed. And I just beg for any help.”

    “We’re still trying to find out,” Eric continued.

    “He collapsed at the stadium, was given CPR, was taken by Uber to hospital and died, according to Celine. (Grant’s wife) We just spoke with the state department, and Celine has spoken to Ron Klain and the White House.”

    Eric, who works for CBS Sports, was detained on November 21 for wearing the shirt to the game at Qatar’s Ahmad bin Ali Stadium as a sign of solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community.

    Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.

    He was detained for 30 minutes but was eventually let into the stadium.

    Grant claimed his phone was “forcibly ripped” from his hands by a guard as he tweeted about the incident.

    His tweeted on November 21: “I’m OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal. Am in the media centre, still wearing my shirt. Was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays”

    He wrote in his Substack column: “Then a security commander approached me.

    “He said they were letting me through and apologized. We shook hands. One of the security guards told me they were just trying to protect me from fans inside who could harm me for wearing the shirt … A Fifa rep later apologized to me as well.”

    To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here .

    This is a breaking news story and is being constantly updated. Please refresh the page regularly with the latest news, pictures and videos.

    You can also get email updates on the day’s biggest stories straight to your inbox by signing up for our newsletters.

    Get all the very best headlines, pictures, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you by following Daily Star every time you see our name.

    You can also sign up for Twitter alerts for breaking news by following @starbreaksnews and follow us @dailystar for all the latest updates.

    Keep up-to-date with your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day by following us on Facebook at

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • World Cup
    • Breaking News

    Source: Read Full Article