WASHINGTON (REUTERS) – Nevada’s governor, diagnosed with Covid-19 himself earlier this month, said he was tightening coronavirus restrictions on casinos, restaurants and bars, while imposing a broader statewide mandate for face-coverings over the next three weeks.
The new measures, effective from Tuesday (Nov 24), come as state and local government leaders around the United States have moved to reinstate a wide range of limits on social and economic life to tame an alarming surge of Covid-19 infections following a summertime lull in the pandemic.
“Whether you believe in the science of Covid or not, the reality is this – Covid is filling up our hospital beds, and that threatens all Nevadans,” Governor Steve Sisolak, a Democrat, said in announcing what he called a new “statewide pause”.
The latest restrictions are likely to prove especially tough for a state whose economy, and the livelihood of its biggest city, Las Vegas, are largely dependent on tourism, gaming and the hospitality industry.
Under Mr Sisolak’s latest public health orders, restaurants and bars must reduce operations from 50 per cent to 25 per cent of capacity, with additional social-distancing requirements, including prohibitions on service without advance reservations.
Casinos, which reopened in June after being ordered closed for more than two months following the Covid-19 outbreak, will likewise be capped at 25 per cent capacity.
The same capacity limit will applied to museums, art galleries, libraries, arcades, racetracks and theme parks – all of which had been under a 50 per cent capacity lid previously.
Mr Sisolak’s latest mask mandate will require all individuals to wear face-coverings whenever in the presence of others from outside their immediate household, whether indoors or outdoors.
Private social gatherings are to be restricted to 10 people from no more than two households, whether inside or out, while public assemblies at such venues as movie theatres, theatrical performances, showrooms, weddings, funerals and places of worship will be capped at 50 individuals, or 25 per cent of normal fire-code capacity, whichever is less.
All youth and adult sports tournaments will be suspended altogether.
Mr Sisolak, 66, tested positive for Covid-19 on Nov 13, though he said last week he was experiencing only minor symptoms.
Sign up for our daily updates here and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.
Get The Straits Times app and receive breaking news alerts and more. Download from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store now.
Source: Read Full Article