Woman badly injured because she stepped in to defend man attacked for being gay

A woman was left needing multiple stitches after her teeth went through her cheek when she was assaulted trying to defend the victim of a homophobic attack. 

Daisy Wells, 28, was on the way home from This Is Tomorrow festival in Newcastle when she saw a group of men taunting an older man because he had a glittery beard. 

Not prepared to stand by and let the man be harassed, the sales executive stepped in and asked the group to stop.

But instead of leaving they turned on her, punching her to the ground and kicking her in the face. 

The men hit Daisy with such force her teeth pierced her cheek as she fell to the floor, and she had to be rushed to hospital requiring eight stitches in her face. 

Despite her injuries, Daisy from Houghton-le-Spring said she ‘would do the same again’ if it meant defending a vulnerable person. 

She said: ‘I didn’t know him, but I wouldn’t change what I did to defend that man. 

‘I could never be a bystander and watch someone get beaten up for no reason other than who they are. 

‘I think they went for him because of his beard – they thought he was gay, and he was on his own so an easy target. 

‘I knew I couldn’t stand and watch so I shouted at them to leave him alone.’ 

The assault happened as Daisy was leaving the festival at Exhibition Park on September 17 with her boyfriend Adam Darley, 27, and four friends. 

She said at first she did not realise the severity of her injuries and was unaware of the blood gushing down her face. 

‘It all happened so fast – the lads ran off and left me to check on my friends,’ she added.

‘I was in complete shock and I couldn’t feel the pain – I was spitting out mouthfuls of blood but I barely noticed. 

‘I didn’t realise how badly I was injured until I took off my jacket after and saw it was covered in my own blood. 

‘I remember thinking, “I’ve never seen that much blood before in my life – and it’s all mine.”

Daisy was taken to the medical tent and then A&E at Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle where she had stitches on both the outside and inside of her mouth to repair the hole. 

After being treated she was able to return to the festival the following day to enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

She said: ‘Without a doubt, I’d do the same again. 

‘But I hope the people responsible can be brought to justice – attacking innocent people is never okay. 

‘I could never be a bystander watching someone beaten up for no reason – and I’d do it the same again despite my injuries.’ 

Following the incident, police are appealing for help to find the men responsible for the attack.

A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: ‘Shortly after 10pm on September 17, police received a report of an assault in Brandling Park, Jesmond.

‘It was reported that a male victim in his 50s had been walking down the street before he was approached and assaulted by two men who were not known to him. 

‘An investigation was launched into the incident, and officers have since learnt of a separate assault committed on another victim on the same evening. 

‘The other victim was a 28-year-old female. 

‘Police believe both assaults were committed by the same two male suspects. Enquiries are ongoing to identify those responsible.’ 

Anyone with information is asked to contact police by calling 101 and quoting reference number 816 17/09/21. 

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article